Artist Spotlight: Lil Bibby


Lil Bibby, a Chicago born rapper has really made an impression on me in the past few weeks and months. I'm not a fan of every song of his; though to his defense I am pretty picky when it comes to rap. However, it's rare that I find three songs that move me and have me listening to it over and over that are all by the same artist. Yet, in this case, Lil Bibby broke the mold and put out three songs that will stay in rotation of my rap playlists for the foreseeable future. Below are threes songs that I enjoy by Bibby, as well as some explanation as to why I like it so much. I hope you enjoy.

1 - Lil Bibby - Water
"Water" was the first song I had heard from Bibby, and it really left an impression on me. Again, I think the thing you'll notice is that, despite Bibby's demeanor and raspy voice, he likes to speak about some very emotional and heartfelt issues in his life. Plus, he's the only rapper I know of that can say "I need a hug" and sound like a badass doing it. "Water" is arguably one of Bibby's best songs, and it is mystifying to me that he only has around nine hundred thousand views on the music video. It doesn't feel right. Regardless of popularity, it was this song that made me dive into Bibby a bit more.

2 - Lil Bibby - Speak To Em ft. Common
This song. This song gave me goosebumps the first time I listened to it. The beat is incredible! I think that might be my favorite thing about Bibby is that he knows to choose some incredible beats that will compliment his style. This one is no different. Bibby takes a prophetic approach here, however, he doesn't want to preach to the listener, but speak to them (thus the name). He just wants to be real with us, and that's admirable, and another reason I have become a fan of Bibby and his work; he is willing to be open and truthful. He has the rare trait of being very self-aware about himself and his surroundings. Oh yeah, forgot to mention... Common features on it. It's almost hard to believe, but you need to remember that Common is tied very much to Chicago, and this only one of several artists the legend has worked with in his career, which is a highly successful one.  Feel good rap at its best.

3 - Lil Bibby - Killing Me
Another song that gave me absolute goosebumps when I first listened to it, and it is without a doubt my favorite Lil Bibby song at the moment. Once again, Bibby is incredibly truthful and honest about his life and his story, and is accompanied with a tantalizing beat that emits such heavy emotion, both from Bibby and from the listener. Do yourself a favor and listen to this. This man is 22 years old!

I think that, in the end, you can't help but respect Bibby for what he's doing right now in the rap scene at the age of 22. He's 22 years old, and instead of being so blinded by ego and material goods he actually spits some truths at the benefit of the listener. I'm definitely looking forward to finding the next hidden gem by this talented artist.

EDIT: I fixed the YouTube video links on there. Sorry about that!

Comments